Tuesday, September 28, 2010

New Job Description

The bible study I go to, Mom to Mom, started back a few weeks ago. It is such an encouraging group! We are reading The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson. It is really great so far. I love going to this group because it reaffirms that I am doing exactly what I am supposed to be doing and the most important thing that I could possibly be doing right now (for me) in being Whit's wife and Lee's mother. Today, I put something new on my kitchen sink window - my new job description - and I am excited about it!

Sally says, "I have come to appreciate the beauty and wisdom of my God-given assignment... I have found deep fulfillment and satisfaction in exercising my gifts, strengths, and personality to bless my family, neighbors, and friends from the strength of my home. Establishing my house-hold as a place in which the greatness of God and a devotion to him is lived out each day has given me focus. Loving my children and nurturing their hearts and minds while training their character and leading them to know the Lord and his purposes has satisfied my soul's need for purpose."

That is my new goal - to think along these lines each day. Some other side notes (that I hope may encourage you) that I wrote down today are:

Lord, what do you want for my family?

God is BIG! Don't downsize or dumb him down to your children. It is amazing what those little minds can take hold of.

In the beginning... Adam came from dust. Must be why boys like dirt so much!

Man was lonely, incomplete. He needs a helper. God is calling me to be Whit's helper - I need to work on this more intentionally.

When people say to a lady with a lot of kids - "Oh my! You have your hands full!" Her response is always, "Its the best way to keep my hands and heart full!" I like that : )

I have the opportunity to grow a home!

The rescue of your children will happen in the mundane and also in the chaos.

Everything in society today is watering down what God intended family to be. Instead of seeing and hearing great things about family, people see the family that is portrayed by media and Hollywood. Build family up, get excited about it, show people the kind of family that God designed. So much changes, things go in and out of style. But our God - he is big and he is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow!

In other news...
This baby boy is growing right along and is making me grow little clumps of chicken hair! I wish I could take a picture, but in my rear view mirror all I see are three groups of thick, short hair sticking straight up and to the side - one on the right, one in the middle, and one on the left side of my hair by my forehead...pretty!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Emily, I am so glad you wrote about today. Wasn't it great? I feel sooo lucky to get to go each week. I love your notes...they are many of my same notes. I hope we an encourage each other in our new roles. You are doing such an amazing job and Lee is so lucky....and Whit and the little guy, too! I can't believe there will be another little one so so soon. love you, mama!....and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Love everything you said and really appreciate your honesty. It might be your honesty about your facial hair that I love the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Emilie, what an encouraging post :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this! and it definitely brought me encouragement! (and a laugh- the boys and dirt comment is hilarious!)

    ReplyDelete